Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Chinese Mother


    The article is very interesting and it presents a very successful case of the eastern educational style. Although the results of this case seem to show that Chinese educational styles lead to higher success and self esteem, I believe that this case is an exception from most other cases. Probably because I was educated in an American system for most of my life, I believe that allowing the development of personal interest is more important than getting higher achievement in academics. This may also just be another excuse that I find for my low grade. Even though I do not agree with the type of learning and the growing process proposed by the author, they certainly hold true for some people. A strict childhood may certainly help with academic achievement, but a strict childhood also means less interaction with society in general. A balance between strict education and experience with the surrounding world is what I believe would benefit a child the most.

1 comment: