Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Scarlet Letter - Hester Prynne

    Puritan society had heavy restrictions on how people should lead their lives and those who didn't follow these restriction were usually punished accordingly. I wouldn't feel sorry for Hester Prynne because I believe that she knew the consequences of her actions and the situation she would fall into. Even though I don't feel sorry for her, I believe that a liberalization of lifestyle from religion would greatly improve the lives that people led.
    I also admire the courage that Hester Prynne has. She was able to perform acts that were forbidden in the restricted Puritan society and she was able to face up with her actions. I believe that the public shaming done to her was unfair because it would negatively affect the child that she is taking around with her.
    Societies change through time and I would say that Hester Prynne was born in a period in which her actions were not allowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment